Total relaxation is more satisfying when you achieve it in the lap of luxury. Here are our selections for the best resorts and spas in the U.S.
1. Celebrity sightings are commonplace at Bacara Resort & Spa in Santa Barbara, Calif. Spacious rooms overlook the Pacific Ocean. After a soak in the infinity pool, walk along the private hiking trail.
2. Enchantment Resort is an oasis in the red-rock desert near Sedona, Ariz. The Mii Amo Spa features all-day packages.
3. Located just two hours from New York City in Washington, Conn., the Mayflower Inn & Spa features a yoga and meditation garden, as well as an outdoor labyrinth in which to lose yourself.
4. With only 40 rooms, the Lake Austin Spa Resort in Austin, Texas, exemplifies intimate. During the Java Pedicure, lower legs are exfoliated with a blend that includes ground coffee.
5. Grizzly bears and wolves are among the animals you might see on a wildlife safari organized through the Wilderness Adventure Spa at Spring Creek Ranch in Jackson, Wyo.
6. Individual cabins maximize privacy at Solage Calistoga in Calistoga, Calif. The spa’s signature Mudslide treatment comprises a mud wrap and a soak in mineral water.
7. Some of the wellness packages at Westglow Resort & Spa in Blowing Rock, N.C., focus on weight loss and stress management. The historic property sits in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
8. The Canyon Ranch resort in Lenox, Mass., features accommodations in the circa-1897 Bellefontaine Mansion and spa treatments including candlelit massage.
9. Wynn Las Vegas, on the Las Vegas Strip, features a Good Luck Ritual, which includes a massage, a scalp treatment and a hand and foot scrub.
10. Sunbathe far from the crowds of South Beach at Acqualina Resort & Spa in Sunny Isles Beach, Fla. It specializes in skin-care treatments that incorporate ocean salt and seaweed.